BB was no security risk: Beg
* She told PAF to target Indian N-sites if Pakistan attacked
* Saudis funded IJI
* Blames Abida for Sharif-Asif Nawaz rift
Daily Times Monitor
LAHORE: Former premier Benazir Bhutto was no threat to national security, former chief of army staff Mirza Aslam Beg told Daily Times Editor-in-chief Najam Sethi on Dunya TV on Sunday.
Beg said that Benazir remained “rock solid” in 1990 amid reports of conspiracy against Pakistan.
Attacks: He said when reports surfaced in 1990 that the US, the Israelis and Indians were planning to attack Pakistan’s nuclear facilities, then PM Benazir had asked Pakistan Air Force to be ready to attack India’s nuclear facilities in case Pakistan was attacked.
Money: The former army chief said Saudis had given bags full of money to Mahmood Haroon to woo politicians to join the Islami Jamhoori Ittehad (IJI), which was constituted to ensure that Benazir did not return to power, and fund IJI’s election campaign.
He said Haroon had claimed that the ‘money-bags’ were so heavy that his “shoulders hurt for days”.
Rift: Beg also said former army chief Asif Nawaz and former PM Nawaz Sharif had been at odds because of former ambassador to US Abida Husssain.
He said Abida had complained to Nawaz that Asif had met some American leaders during his US visit, but had not included her in those meetings.
She had told Nawaz that Asif was conspiring against him with the US leadership. (Daily Times)